Sep 09, 2015
Peter from Good Mix Superfoods in Toowoomba kindly sent through this fantastic recipe for Raw, 100% natural, vegan, organic, refined sugar free & gluten free salted caramel slice. Yes… caramel slice that we can all eat without guilt. Or the tummy ache. Amazing but true! So here you have it – guilt free yummyness!
Raw, 100% natural, vegan, organic, refined sugar free & gluten free salted caramel sliceUse any of goodMix Superfoods products to create this marvellous snack, dessert or why not, breakfast! Any of goodmix’s products such as ‘blend11, ballbags, coconut oil, stevia, maca powder and chia seeds can be used or substituted in this recipe – just be imaginative with this caramel slice! Ingredients Base – 1 cup of Blend11 1/2 cup of Dates 1-2 Teaspoons of coconut oil 1 Tablespoon of lucuma (optional) Salted caramel – 1 Cup of dates 1/2 Cup of coconut oil 1/2 Tablespoons of hulled tahini 1/4 Organic maple syrup (your choice of sweetener) 1 Cup of nuts of choice (I use cashews) 1/3 Cup water Pinch of sea salt Choc Top – 1/4 Cup of cacao butter 1 Tablespoon of cacao powder 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil 1 Tablespoon of coconut syrup (rice malt syrup or organic maple syrup – your choice of sweetener) (optional) Method
- To make the base, place the ‘base’ ingredients into a food processor and process for 1–2 minutes or until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Press the mixture into the base of a 20cm x 20cm lightly greased baking tin lined with non-stick baking paper and refrigerate until set.
- To make the caramel, place ‘salted caramel’ ingredients’ in a food processor and process for 1–2 minutes or until smooth.
- Spread over the prepared base and return to the fridge.
- Place the butter, cacao, oil and rice malt syrup in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir for 2–3 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour the cacao mixture over the date caramel and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.