News and Blog
This Tomato Relish recipe was contributed by one of our Facebook friends and we absolutely love it! Thank you Leesa for this delicious recipe. On a ploughman’s sandwich with cheese and dill pickle, as a dip on an antipasto platter or as an accompaniment to grilled meat this Tomato Relish has quickly become one of our favourites.
What you will need
- 2 cups of sugar
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 500grams of onions
- 4 teaspoons of curry powder
- 4 tablespoons of cornflour
- 1.5kg Tomatoes
- Score a cross in the base of tomatoes, then cover with boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Drain and refresh in iced water, then peel.
- Cut peeled tomatoes roughly and add to a large glass bowl.
- Peel onions and chop finely, add to the bowl with tomatoes.
- Sprinkle tomato and onion mixture with the salt, mix through, cover and allow to stand overnight on your kitchen bench.
- Pour off most of the liquid then add vinegar and sugar.
- Place mixture on the stove top in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer gently for about 45 to 60 minutes until all of the mixture has softened, the onions are clear and the mixture is tender
- Blend cornflour and curry powder with a little extra vinegar and add to mixture.
- Continue to simmer on low heat until thickened. Note: Mixture will thicken further when it cools.
- Pour mixture into sterilised jars while still warm and seal lids firmly. (You can easily sterilise jars by washing them in the dishwasher. If you don’t have a dishwasher wash in hot soapy water in the sink, rinse and dry them upside down in an oven preheated to 110C for 15 minutes. Cool before you fill them!)
- Store in the fridge
Tip from the Dine Team Make a double batch as this stuff will not last long in the fridge!
If you would like to submit a recipe to the Dine Kitchen. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org We would love to hear from you.